Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Wigging Out!

Ok, so my mother is going through chemotherapy right now. My mom isn't a good patient when she has a headache, much less cancer, so this hasn't been pleasant. Not that any of us expected this to be a walk in the park, but she just won't slow down! And as a result, several things have happened. First, she caught a world-class cold. Rapid weight loss because she does what she wants to do...won't listen to her children who want her to drink Boost. Thirdly, she is driving her oldest child insane because I get to hear how everyone else needs to just settle down, leave her alone, or (fill in the blank). But the fourth point is how her hair loss is effecting me. Now I realize that that sounds really selfish, but I'm not used to seeing my mom with gray hair, never mind no hair. So, I've been begging her to get a wig.

Yes, I realize that its a petty thing to dwell on, but it bothers me. She doesn't look like herself, and perhaps I am being shallow. But once I talked her into it, I paid for the wig and all of the stuff to go with it.

Now, for anyone who never had to deal with this stuff before, you don't just buy the wig and styrofoam head and have done with it. No, no, no--you have special wig shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, styling creme, lustre spray, pick, brush, liners, drying rack, styling strap...is that all???? Yeah I think that might be everything. Here's the thing: The wig $32 (on sale through cancer society) the crap to go with it? $45 before shipping.

By the time I bought my mom a wig--the wig stuff--and a new hat (plus a matching hat for myself), with shipping the order came to $120!! Do these companies realize that most of these people are on fixed incomes because either they are too sick to work, or they have to work reduced schedules because of the chemo???? I'm sure these are rock-bottom prices too. Thank God my mom has us.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Minnie Pecker!!!! I hope you are doing o.k. I finally read your blog and now I can keep up with your life!

Looking forward to seeing you on saturday. Take it easy, Min Min!