Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Trouble With Labradors.

I know you've all at this point viewed pictures of my two babies, Mojo and Macie. They are my children, or at least the closest I plan on getting to having offspring of my own. They're cute little buggers, but lately Macie had been having a smelly problem. Anyone who has Labradors probably knew this, but I had no idea that Labs are particularly sensitive skin dogs. They are very prone to dry skin and other skin allergies. I had no idea until I couldn't take the smelly gymsock smell that permeated her coat just days after she had been bathed.

Poor dog smelled like a gym locker. Yeesh. I had tried everything I could find. I even went to the pet store and talked with some of the associates. I dropped a lot of money on "fixes" that did not work. At. All. Finally, I was at the end of my rope and Googled smelly lab...yes that is what I googled "smelly lab". At that point I was introduced to the fact that poor Macie wasn't alone in her stinkiness.

I read all of the petowner message boards I was pointed to and got quite the edumakashun about the breed and the skin problems that come with it. Having never owned a Lab in my life, I had no idea these dogs were such sensitive little guys. So, armed with this new information, the fact that Macie had some severe dandruff finally made sense. She wasn't chewing her hair off or anything, but she sure did itch herself a lot, and since I never found a flea on her ever (good flea stuff buyer that I am), I knew that couldn't be why she did it. Everything came together for me while reading the boards...as Oprah would say, it was my "A-ha! Moment".

So, I read on to see what others had done. I kept seeing the same product mentioned over and over. It was one that I had never heard of, and after a quick call to the local pet stores, was surprised to find that they didn't even carry. We had to buy it online, and it didn't come cheap, but it is a total miracle! So, for others out there in my situation, I'm ready to "endorse" an awesome pet shampoo, conditioner, and doggie-coat deodorizer. Seriously, this stuff works or I wouldn't mention it. It's called Nova Pearls, and it is a god-send to us.
This is the shampoo
This is the Conditioner


And this is the deodorizing spray.

This is my happy, not stinky anymore dog.



Well, she sorta cares.

Look how shiny her coat is! She's super-soft now too, it's like her puppy hair never left. And, she smells fan-freaking-tastic! It's been two weeks since her last bath, and there isn't even a hint of the stinky gym socks anymore. It's awesome!
(I am in no way affiliated with this product, they have no clue who the heck I am, and wouldn't care if I ceased to exist.)



No comments: